Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Importance of a Mentor In A Girls Life

I grew up in the Church and I have always had women in my life who play a large part in not only my spiritual life but also in my life as a whole. They helped shape my choices and warned me against the poor ones, I am forever grateful for these women. 

Because I've always had mentors along with a wonderful mom whom I could tell anything to, I can't imagine how my life would be without these influences. Then I think about my friends and I realize- my life would not only be different, it would be empty. My mentors opened new doors for me and listened to me when I needed an ear. They always gave me advice but allowed me to choose my own paths. 

I have friends in my life who were not as lucky as I in regards to mentors. My friends don't always have close relationships with their moms and they are consequently left with no real women's wisdom except what their friends can give, which is not really wisdom-influenced. I have one friend in particular who not only doesn't have a wonderful relationship with her mom, but also has a pretty shaky relationship with her father. I don't blame her for this by any means, but I do see the difference in in influences behind her choices and ultimately her life compared with how I am influenced. 

I wish with all my heart that she had a good mentor in her life that she could talk to, (secretly I wish she had a mentor so she would knock some sense in to her), because sometimes her choices negatively influences how our friendship works. I think the fact that she does not have a close relationship with God cause her parents don't makes her and I butt heads sometimes. Her choices with who she dates, who she hangs out with, how she treats me are all affected and I truly believe it would all change if she had a girl she could talk to and that would give her advice. 

That being said, I feel like God has put me in girls' lives so I can grow up to be their mentors. I think that because of the experiences and hardships God has pulled me through I am destined to somehow be involved in high school girls' lives so I can be there for them like I wish someone was there for my friend. I feel like I am going to be in the position to "pass the baton" as Brian Berry says, to influence girls' lives like others have influenced mine so they can turn around and do the same. 

I might expand more on this later, but right now I need to finish homework.

3 comments:

Josh Treece said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! This post is awesome and is an incredible indication of how God is shaping you into an amazing young woman! Keep going!

;-) said...

Found your site.
You are wise, young lady!

amy the abattoir said...

heyyy, i saw your blog on facebook!