Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just some thoughts

Have you ever wondered why the "peace sign" (the circle one with the lines not the finger V) is so much of a fad right now? I thought about getting a peace sign for my back window of my car; two seconds later I realized that I had said some not so nice things to the guy who cut me off on the freeway and relinquished the idea of the peace sign. Mostly because I would feel hypocritical, and partly because I would feel like I was just another one of those people with the peace sign on the car. To me, "peace" is not just a little thing or a cool sticker to put on your car; it's a way of living. It's a time for one to deliberately live in a "peaceful" manner. It's deliberately altering every aspect of your life in order to live peacefully in the world.  So, I guess, yeah in a way I am what Todd Tolson calls, "a 21st-century hippie." I never wanted to admit that because I don't want to conform to the trends of America. Being a "hippie" is so "cool" right now, it's the "hip'' thing to do, and being "hip" is so not me. 

(P.S. I bet you haven't actually wondered that, honestly.. but oh well)

Buddha put it like this: "Better than a thousand hollow words is one that brings peace." Man. Talk about a loaded statement. He was wise.

A Psalmist put it like this (and I personally like this one better): Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it

So you can't just say "oh yeah, world peace, world peace" you have to pursue it and live it out. 

That's enough of that.  


So another tangent: 

My new favorite CS Lewis quote:
   If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy,
   I can only conclude that I was not made for here.

AGAIN! What a loaded statement! I can't even begin to imagine how to dissect that statement. God is good, that's all I can say. 

And I guess I'll end with that: God is good. 


 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow Samantha... That is deep. Me thinks you have a gift for wisdom perhaps?? :)